If you know us at Frasca Digital, then you also know that we LOVE marking articles on digital marketing statistics and trends. The world of digital marketing is omni-present and every-evolving. Subsequently, so are the trends and outcomes.
We work with and monitor marketing data for our clients every day. When we conduct this type of industry research, we have the opportunity to pull ourselves out of the details and view the marketing industry as a whole. This is exactly what we get excited about.
Alright… enough about us. Let’s get into the stuff you really came here for!
Digital Advertising is Getting More Competitive in 2021
- Global digital ad spend will reach $389 billion in 2021. While worldwide digital ad spending achieved a modest 2.4% increase in 2020, it’s expected to shoot up 17% in 2021. (Source: eMarketer)
- The average cost per customer acquisition (CPA) is $49 for paid search and $75 for display ads. These numbers help illustrate how competitive digital advertising can be for many industries. The stakes for digital have never been higher, and neither has the pressure on marketers and agencies to optimize campaign performance to win more customers at lower costs. (Source: WordStream)
- US social media ad spend reached $43 billion in 2020. This was a 20% increase from 2019. (Source: eMarketer)
- In 2020, US Facebook ad spend exceeded $31 billion. This represents a 5% increase from 2019. (Source: Business Insider)
- In 2019, US LinkedIn ad spend exceeded $1 billion. This is a 40% growth in ad spend since 2016. LinkedIn has become a staple advertising channel for B2B marketers. (Source: eMarketer).
- Mobile display ad spend reached $61 billion in 2020. A smaller increase than eMarketer projected before the COVID-19 outbreak, but it still represented a 22% increase from 2019. (Source: eMarketer)
- As of July 2018, 52.95% of people use Mobile compared to 43.11% on desktop worldwide.
Content Marketing Statistics 2021
Content is king. Period. If you think otherwise, think again.
Whether it’s simply putting together a cadence of publishing blog posts each month, or creating a podcast, modern consumers are ready to… consume.
Why not feed these content-hungry consumers with unique, educational content and potentially gain them as a lead or new customer?
- 53% of marketers say blogging is their top content marketing priority.
- You can expect about 67% more leads every month if your brand has a blog (compared to ones that don’t!).
- 70% of marketers lack a consistent or integrated content strategy
- The most successful marketers spend 40% of their total marketing budget on content marketing. The average for all respondents is 26%.
- Content marketing revenue will soon exceed $300 billion.
- 70% of internet users want to learn about products through content versus traditional advertisements.
To be fair, content marketing does take resources and consistency to become successful. The content marketing statistics above should be enough evidence to consider implementing SEO and a content strategy into any marketing program.
Also consider that 40 – 60% of a website’s traffic can come from Google’s Organic search alone. The only way to get these residual results? SEO.
E-commerce Statistics 2021
In 2020, e-commerce shopping exploded with growth as individuals coped with the COVID-19 calamity.
In fact, it’s getting better for always-online stores everywhere, even in 2021:
- More than one-third of American small businesses do not have a website.
- In 2021, ecommerce sales are expected to account for 18.1 percent of retail sales worldwide.
- It’s estimated that there will be 2.14 billion global digital buyers in 2021.
- The number one reason people shop online is free delivery.
- 81 percent of consumers conduct online research before making a purchase online.
- Abandoned cart follow-up emails have an average open rate of 41.09 percent.
- Nearly half (48 percent) of online shoppers simply head straight to a large ecommerce marketplace.
- Mobile ecommerce accounts for 45 percent of US ecommerce sales.
- Users who have a negative experience on a mobile website are 62 percent less likely to purchase from that business in the future.
- Longer mobile page load times drastically increase bounce rates
- Younger people still shop online more than older people
Top Growth Marketing Trends of 2021
There are a numbing amount of metrics above, so we decided to summarize some of these into key takeaways and growth marketing opportunities.
1.) Content Marketing Is More Important Than Ever
The most successful organizations spend 40% of their marketing budgets on content marketing.
2.) Customer Experience Takes Center Stage
Investing in the customer experience results in a 170% increase in ROI within three years.
3.) Personalize the Customer Experience to Humanize Your Brand
49% of all consumers have made an impulse purchase based on a highly personalized experience.
4.) Move From Multichannel to Omnichannel Experiences
Over the last 10 years, the amount of companies investing in omnichannel experiences has increased from 20% to 80%.
5.) Your Customers Remain Your Strongest Marketers
72% of customers will share a positive experience with at least six people.
Want more Marketing Statistics, Trends and Data?
Hungry for more? Are you struggling to measure the impact of your marketing dollars? Let Frasca Digital help clear the fog of unknowns and reveal pathways towards ROI.
Contact us today to get started!